Posts Tagged “Bite treatment London”
The way the upper and lower jaw fit together is described as the “bite” or “occlusion”, and an improper or irregular bite is called a malocclusion. Bite is important for shaping the contours of your mouth and face, for eating and speaking. If the bite is misaligned it can potentially cause damage to the jaw, teeth, tongue, lips and cheeks. Typical bite problems arise from:
- Gaps between the teeth.
- Misaligned teeth.
- Front teeth crossing over bottom teeth or vice versa (cross-bite).
- Skew or crooked teeth.
Causes of bite problems
- Hereditary irregularities like cleft palate.
- Genetic conditions or diseases.
- Childhood habits, such as thumb sucking.
- Bruxism or teeth grinding.
- Facial and oral injuries.
- Incorrect use or fit of orthodontic devices.
Untreated bite problems
If bite problems are left untreated other medical complications and symptoms can arise:
- Chipped, fractured or broken teeth.
- Teeth and gum sensitivity.
- Bite irritation.
- Inability to control bite for oral functions.
- Jaw clicking.
- Headaches and pains in the neck.
- Blocked ears.
Not having proper care for malocclusion can be detrimental to oral and overall health. It can also be indicative of other health conditions that need treating, which is why appropriate treatment from London dentists is so vital.
Treatment for bite problems
Bite problems can be treated with orthodontic options, which include:
- Tooth removal.
- Root canal treatment.
- Dental implants.
- Orthodontic braces.
- Orthodontic functional devices.
- Jawbone remodelling.
- Jaw surgery.
- Facial reconstruction.
Get in touch with us for further information about malocclusion problems and treatment options available. We personalise care and carry out a thorough examination to determine proper diagnosis and treatment.